Emergency dentistry becomes critical if you have been in an accident or have experienced injury to your teeth, mouth or jaw. Instead of enduring painful suffering and possible permanent damage, contact our Jenison emergency dentist immediately if you may need emergency dentistry services. Delaying treatment for a dental emergency may increase the risk of permanent damage resulting in more extensive and costly restorative dental treatments.
Pain is your body's signal that something is wrong. It also means that it may be time to seek treatment for a known dental issue you may have been postponing. Not sure if your problem is a dental emergency? Below is a list of various dental emergencies and several steps you can take to reduce your discomfort.
Emergency Dental Problems & Solutions:
- Tooth impact and loss – Carefully rinse your tooth without removing any attached tissue. If possible, hold the tooth in place in the socket, or else place the tooth in milk and contact us immediately.
- Broken Tooth – Save all pieces of the broken tooth and rinse your mouth out with warm water. Apply a cold compress to the area to decrease swelling and pain until we can examine the damage and restore your tooth.
- Dental Abscess – If you find a pimple formation or swelling on your gums, rinse your mouth with salt water and immediately contact our dental office. If not treated promptly, abscesses can lead to more serious infections.
- Lost Dental Filling or Dental Crown – For dental fillings and crowns, a temporary repair can be made using dental cement or sealing the hole with a piece of sugarless gum until our Jenison emergency dentists can perform a permanent replacement or installation.
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth out with warm water. Next, use dental floss to make sure there isn't any food or other debris causing the pain. If the tooth pain persists, call our office.
- Bitten Lip or Tongue – Clean the area and apply an ice pack to reduce swelling. If the bleeding doesn't stop, see your dentist right away or go to a hospital emergency room.
To learn more about Jenison emergency dentist Susan Deters DDS, any of our Jenison dental services or to request an appointment, please contact our office or call us directly at 616.457.9191.